Saturday, December 17, 2011

Welder Babe

Usually I am on my own out in the garage but every once in a long while I am lucky enough to have Maria come out and join me. She will occasionally have something she is painting or reupholstering but one time she did ask me for a welding lesson. It ended with a burnt hand, but that wasn't until after she had made herself an awesome little jewelry holder.









Everything about this picture is beautiful.




















Because we were working with a thinner metal the heat from the welder doesn't have anywhere to go (except into unsuspecting hands). The piece gets extra hot causing a neat bluing effect. Maria used this to her advantage, so in addition to welding the T joint, she purposely welded the back side of the piece creating this color pattern.

 This may be her last time dabbling with welding but I was really impressed with the way this little project came out!

1 comment:

  1. Be sure to spray it in a clear coat, otherwise it will start to rust and tarnish from the moisture on your fingers, unless that is the look you want.

    ReplyDelete