Saturday, July 12, 2014

Urban Dog Sled

My sister-in-law Jessica and her husband Nick have two beautiful huskies who they spent a little time training as sled dogs. Nick had mentioned that it would be fun to try it on a paved road so a few years back I thought i would attempt building an urban dog sled. There had been a damaged and abandoned shopping cart on our street for while (not the best neighborhood) that I recruited for the cause. I chopped off the top and built a seat on it. I then welded on steering knuckles to the front wheels and linked them together so they would work in tandem. Also welded to the front wheels were foot pegs allowing the rider to steer. A spring mechanism would bring the steering back to center whenever the feet were relaxed. Finally I added a break lever to one of the rear wheels that worked so poorly I am not sure if two energetic dogs would even feel it. Also, with no form of suspension the ride was bumpy enough to rattle fillings out of your teeth. I did try it out once but unfortunately I don't have any video. It is one thing to run dogs on a trail, but something else entirely to get them to run down a road with cars on it. I don't blame Jess and Nick if the sled never got used much, but it did make for an exciting ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment