Thursday, August 30, 2012

Angus 2.0

 
Skip to video of Angus HERE


Last summer Maria and I went up to visit her family in Idaho which is when I first met Angus. Angus is their four wheeled two seater Rhoades bike which we had a blast riding around the Tetons that week. After looking at the existing hardware I mentioned to my father in law Pat that the bike already had most of what it needed to be motorized and that it looked like a fairly easy and cheap project. My original idea was to put in a 200cc honda clone. Pat was interested but also a little more responsible than I am. He was concerned about the legality of such a creature. Anyway, the idea had been planted and Pat was later able to find a 50cc kit that would be mostly road legal in Idaho.

This summer when we went back up to Idaho for another visit Pat had already started putting the kit together and I was able to help him mount it onto the bike. The engine is light enough that you can turn it off, pedal, and forget that it is back there (in fact that is the backup plan for when we see police). It is also unique in that the engine uses one of the existing sprocket sets so you can use one of the bikes shifters with the engine as if you were driving a manual car.






Click HERE to watch a little video of the bike in action.



2 comments:

  1. Awesome, is that a 2 stroke trimmer motor? Your earlier post about the UBA is HILARIOUS, when my boys come up with ideas like that, I'm going to remember to be like uncle Russell and sit back and let them play out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its just a little 4 stroke, i think it only does 2.5 hp. It came in the kit mounted directly to this little gearbox. Its geared low so it can still move two adults but wont go over 18 mph.

    ReplyDelete