Sunday, August 26, 2012

UBA helmet

A while back my dad found some old  pictures from one of my earlier creations which he emailed out to the family. We called it the UBA helmet (Underwater Breathing Apparatus minus the Self Contained part of SCUBA). We had a lot of fun with that thing, bouncing around on the bottom of the pool in slow motion like we were out on a moon walk. Strangely enough, my memory of events don't completely match up with those of my siblings but I thought it would be fun to include their memories from that chain of emails.



"I mentioned Rich's early inventions like the diving helmet.  Here is a later diary entry with a drawing of the famous helmet and also a couple of photos of the prototype in actual use (notice who he has working the pump on the edge of the pool).  I continued to use that big rock with the strap attached when I would clean algae off the bottom of our pool.  I noticed the note says "hose can be as long as you want it" (which in Rich's case was about 30 minutes since he got interested in other inventions as soon as he finished this one)."
Russell Cannon



"I remember when we first tried this out. Rich tied a rock to himself and sank to the bottom with the bucket on his head. Once he got to the bottom the hose detached from the bucket, and all the air bubbled out through the hole. He sat at the bottom of the pool for a while, tied to a rock with no air, while we debated about who should jump in to help. He eventually made it out on his own, though."
Jesse Cannon



 "I also remember that first trial run. As I recall, it was still winter or early spring, so Rich was wearing his wetsuit since he didn't want to wait for warmer weather to try it out. None of us wanted to jump in the freezing water, so instead we tried throwing small rocks down on him as a signal..."
Nate Cannon

"I don't think this experience was actually a test run for the UBA but a test for his brothers."
Gina Steed

1 comment: